Slow Cooker Cajun Chicken
Slow cooker Cajun chicken is packed with flavor and lean meat, perfect for an easy, healthy dinner.
- 400 g chicken breast fillets
- 2 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
Place raw chicken breasts in your slow cooker. Drizzle Cajun seasoning on top.
Cover the slow cooker with a lid, and cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours. Use two forks or claws to pull the chicken meat apart, then serve!
You don’t have to add any liquid to the slow cooker, as the chicken will cook in its own juices. Avoid removing the lid while the chicken cooks. There is no need to check on it, and it won’t burn or dry out in the time suggested.
Here is how you can store leftover pulled Cajun chicken:
Storing: Allow the chicken to cool down, then store it in an airtight container in a refrigerator for up to 3 days. You can serve the leftover chicken cold, or reheat it beforehand.
Freezing: Freeze slow cooker Cajun chicken in a freezer safe container for up to 6 months. Thaw it in a refrigerator overnight before use.
Reheating: The easiest way to reheat leftover chicken is by microwaving it for a few minutes. Only reheat the amount of meat that you actually need.
Meal prep / make ahead: As the leftovers store well, this recipe is perfect for make ahead meals. Prepare a large portion of shredded chicken, and use it in multiple meals through the week.
Here are my top tips to succeed with this recipe:
- Avoid removing the lid from the slow cooker as the chicken cooks, as this will allow heat to escape and increase the cooking time. You don’t have to touch the chicken at all!
- If in doubt, you can use a meat thermometer to ensure that the chicken has cooked through. Chicken is considered safe to eat when it has reached an internal temperature of 165 °F or 74 °C.
- You can buy Cajun seasoning in most supermarkets, or you can make your own spice blend!
Calories: 124kcal | Carbohydrates: 2g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 64mg | Sodium: 118mg | Potassium: 448mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 1705IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 13mg | Iron: 1mg