Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Legs
These crispy air fryer buffalo chicken legs are packed with flavor and made in only 30 minutes. They are perfect as an appetizer, snack or main course.
- 2 lbs chicken legs (1 kg)
- 2 tablespoon butter (melted)
- ½ cup Frank's Redhot Original Sauce (120 ml - or any other hot sauce)
Preheat your air fryer to 400°F or 200°C for a few minutes.
Add the chicken legs to the air fryer. Make sure to leave some space between each leg, so not to overcrowd the air fryer tray or basket.
Air fry the legs for 15 minutes, then flip and cook for another 10 minutes.
Melt the butter, and combine the butter and hot sauce in a bowl to create buffalo sauce. Dip the cooked chicken legs in the sauce and coat them thoroughly. Add them back to the air fryer, and cook for another 5 minutes.
Check with a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the legs that the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165°F or 75°C. Remove the buffalo chicken legs from the air fryer and serve.
Can I use frozen chicken legs? – Absolutely! Add 5-10 minutes extra cooking time if you are using frozen chicken legs.
Is this recipe suitable for my diet? – Depending on which hot sauce or buffalo sauce you use, this recipe is suitable for most diets including slimming world, weight watchers, keto and low carb. Use diet friendly buffalo suce options to make it suitable for whole30 and paleo. It is also low calorie, low carb and sugar free.
Are buffalo chicken legs allergy friendly? – You will have to check the nutrition label on the sauce you use, but in general this recipe is gluten free, egg free, nut free and soy free.
Leftover air fried chicken legs can be stored in the fridge for up to 2 days. Keep in mind that the chicken skin will be soft and not crispy after being stored.
I highly recommend reheating the chicken before serving it. Alternatively, you can remove the chicken skin and bones and shred the meat to use in other dishes.
Here is all my best advice for how you can make the BEST air fryer buffalo chicken legs:
- Your chicken legs might cook faster or slower than the time suggested. Always check with a meat thermometer to ensure that the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165°F or 75°C before removing it from the air fryer.
- If you have a smaller air fryer, you might have to cook the chicken legs in several batches. Avoid overcrowding the basket in order to cook it all in one go, as this will prevent the chicken from cooking evenly.
Calories: 281kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 121mg | Sodium: 1036mg | Potassium: 273mg | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 119IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 20mg | Iron: 1mg