Slow cooker mashed potatoes
These creamy, delicious, fluffy slow cooker mashed potatoes are the perfect side dish to serve with your favourite main. Prepare them in your Crockpot for a perfect result every single time.
- 1 kg maris piper potatoes
- 100 ml soured cream
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- pepper to taste (optional)
First, peel the potatoes and dice them into equal sized chunks. Add them to your slow cooker, along with about 100 ml water.
Leave the potatoes to slow cook until they are tender enough to push a fork through with little resistance, anbout 2-4 hours on high or 5-6 hours on low. Stir the potatoes occasionally to prevent them from sticking to the bottom.
When the potatoes are ready, move them to a bowl and drain off any excess water. Use a potato masher to mashed the potatoes until they are fluffy. Add salt, nutmeg and soured cream and stir to combine. Optionally, you can add some pepper to taste.
Mashed potatoes are definitely best when served immediately. If you have leftovers, you can reheat these in the microwave or on the stove top. I recommend stirring in some extra water or milk before reheating them, as this will give the potatoes a little extra fluff.
Alternatively, you can use your leftover mashed potatoes to make a snack or breakfast the next day. Try oven baked potato and cheese balls, or potato pancakes!
Best tips & suggestions
Can I make this recipe without soured cream / dairy free? – I highly recommend using soured cream as it’s the main ingredients to achieve the creamy, fluffy texture. For a dairy free and vegan version, I recommend using a plant based soured cream alternative.
- If possible, cook the potatoes on the slow setting. This gives a much better result, and I find that the potatoes are creamier compared to using the high setting on your slow cooker.
- Mash the potatoes thorughly before adding the soured cream and seasoning. Then, fold the soured cream, salt and nutmeg in until it’s perfectly creamy.
- Use a type of potato that’s well suited for mash. I prefer maris piper potatoes, but yukon golds are also nice.
Calories: 241kcal | Carbohydrates: 44g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 13mg | Sodium: 108mg | Potassium: 1088mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 156IU | Vitamin C: 49mg | Calcium: 58mg | Iron: 2mg