Butter Bean Stew with Chorizo
This tomato based butter bean stew with chorizo is full of flavor and made in only 20 minutes. It combines diced chorizo, onion and butter beans in a lovely tomato based sauce, perfect for easy and delicious weeknight dinners.
- 5 ounces diced chorizo
- 1 (15 oz) can canned diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 oz) can butter beans (drained and rinsed)
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 onion onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1 teaspoons olive oil (or other cooking oil, cooking spray)
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoons pepper
- ¼ teaspoons salt
Finely dice the red onion and garlic.
Heat the olive oil in a large pot, and saute the onion until it's soft and translucent, about 2 minutes.
Add diced chorizo, all seasoning, tomato paste, diced bell pepper and finely diced garlic to the pot, and saute for a few more minutes.
Add drained and rinsed butter beans, and canned diced tomatoes, and leave the stew to simmer for about 5-7 minutes.
Lastly, add washed spinach, and stir to allow the leaves to wilt. Add any additional salt and pepper to taste if needed.
- For a vegan version, omit the chorizo or substitute it with sub dried tomatoes and extra beans.
- Storage: Store leftovers in a refrigerator for up to 4 days, or freeze for up to 6 months. Reheat before serving.
- Make it extra spicy by adding chili, or extra red pepper flakes.
Calories: 231kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 22mg | Sodium: 735mg | Potassium: 755mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 2797IU | Vitamin C: 57mg | Calcium: 79mg | Iron: 4mg