Slow cooker chicken taco soup
Comforting slow cooker chicken taco soup is a hearty, chunky soup with lean meat and all the taco flavors. It's a quick and easy solution to Taco Tuesday, or simply a wholesome and effortless family dinner.
- 1.1 kg bone-in chicken thighs
- 1 tin black beans (400 g size) or 235 g cooked black beans
- 150 g sweetcorn thawed and drained
- 200 ml tomato passata
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes (400 g size)
- 200 ml water or chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- salt, pepper
- 2 onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 chili
First, heat some one calorie cooking spray in a pan on medium heat. Add finely diced onion, and saute until soft and translucent, 4-5 minutes. Then, add finely minced garlic and chili, and saute for another minute.
Transfer the mixture to your slow cooker, along with all the other ingredients. Stir to combine everything, then place the lid.
Cook the soup on high for 2-4 hours or on low setting for 4-6 hours. Before serving, remove the chicken thigh fillets from the soup. Remove the skin and bones. Shred the chicken and add it back to the soup. Stir to combine everything thoroughly, then add salt and pepper to taste.
Tips and substitutions
- You can remove the black beans or substitute with pinto beans or kidney beans.
- Add any other vegetables or ingredients you think you would enjoy in this soup. I think diced peppers, jalapenos, cooked chorizo or spicy sausage would be nice additions.
- This soup is not made to be spicy. If you want to add some spice, you can add more chili powder to taste.
- Each serving of this soup will have a lot of chicken. You can safely use less chicken, and still have a filling soup. Feel free to also substitute some of the chicken with other ingredients like vegetables.
- Use bone-in chicken for the best results. Avoid chicken breast fillets as they will dry out from over cooking.
Calories: 747kcal | Carbohydrates: 47g | Protein: 51g | Fat: 41g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 229mg | Sodium: 606mg | Potassium: 1440mg | Fiber: 13g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 1219IU | Vitamin C: 38mg | Calcium: 111mg | Iron: 6mg