Kale salad with apples and cranberries + tahini dressing
This hearty kale salad with apples and cranberries is amazing with your holiday dinners. Serve it as a easy and colorful side dish, or as a light and hearty main dish.
- 3 large handfuls chopped kale, stems removed
- 2 red apples
- 3 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 4 tbsp walnuts
- 4 tbsp cranberries
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp cold water
- salt, pepper
Assemble the salad
Add the kale to a bowl with the tahini dressing. Use your hands to massage the kale thoroughly. This will help coat the kale with the dressing, and also breaks down the fibers in the kale, making it easier to eat and digest.
Remove the cores from the apples, dice them and add to the salad.
Add the rest of the ingredients, stir to combine and serve.
- Diced apples tend to brown fast. If you want to make this salad the day before serving, I suggest leaving out the apples. Add them just before serving to prevent them from browning.
- Leftovers should last 2-3 days in the fridge, but as mentioned, the apples can brown slightly. The salad is not suitable for freezing.
- This recipe makes a side dish for 6 people. As a main dish, it would be enough for 2-3 portions.
- Use cold water for the tahini dressing, as this will make the dressing more creamy.