25 Aug Roasted courgette and halloumi salad
Courgettes are in season, and there’s nothing like fresh produce! Take advantage of the summer flavors with this tasty and easy roasted courgette and halloumi salad. A satisfying main, or a great side dish for your next BBQ!
What do you need to make this salad?
- Courgette (zucchini)
- Olive oil
- Rocket (arugula)
- Optionally balsamic vinegar
How do you make a roasted courgette and halloumi salad?
Cut courgettes into chunks and spread over a baking sheet covered baking tray. Drizzle olive oil and a pinch of salt, and use your hands to coat the vegetable pieces evenly. Put it in the oven, and roast for about 15-20 minutes until the courgettes are soft. Meanwhile, slice the halloumi and add to a dry pan. Cook on medium heat for a few minutes until they are golden underneath. Turn them over and cook until both sides are golden. Add roasted courgette, halloumi and rocket to a salad bowl. Optionally, drizzle over some lemon pepper vinaigrette, or balsamic vinegar.
Estimate 1 courgette per person for a main dish, or 1/3 per person for a side dish.
Chop the courgette into small chunks and add to a baking sheet covered baking tray.
Roast on 180°C for around 20 minutes, until the chunks are softened and slightly browned.
Slice or dice halloumi and add to a dry pan.
Cook for a few minutes until the cheese has softened, and is turning golden underneath. Turn and cook until golden on both sides.
How do you adapt this dish to fit a crowd?
This dish is great as a side dish to serve with grilled fish or meat. To make a bigger batch as a side dish, estimate 1/3 of a courgette, a small handful of rocket and 25g halloumi per serving. I recommend dicing the halloumi into smaller pieces before cooking, as it makes it easier to combine all ingredients for a mixed salad.
Roasted courgette and halloumi salad
- 75 g halloumi
- 200 g courgette
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- Chop the courgettes in chunks and add to a baking sheet
- Drizzle with olive oil and a pinch of salt
- Move the courgettes around to make sure they are fully covered with the oil. I use my hands!
- Add courgettes to the oven and roast until they are soft and slightly browned. The roasting time will vary based on the size of your chunks, but is typically 15-20 minutes.
- Slice or dice halloumi to your preference
- Add to a dry pan (no oil needed), and cook on medium heat until the cheese is softer, and golden brown underneath, about 3 minutes.
- Turn, and cook until the halloumi is golden on both sides, about 2 minutes.
- Add cooked halloumi, rocket and roasted courgette to a salad bowl.
- Optionally, drizzle with a vinaigrette or balsamic vinegar