08 Aug Cauliflower chicken fried rice
I am so excited about this recipe. I think it’s really cool that I managed to make vegetables taste like junk food, and even my partner was thoroughly enjoying it. And it’s cauliflower! That’s amazing. Anyway, according to Myfitnesspal, half a container of chicken fried rice from a chinese take away shop is around 640 calories. This cauliflower chicken fried rice comes in at about 380 calories, is packed with vitamins, and will keep you full all day. Guys, this is vegetables, egg and chicken. All healthy stuff. It just doesn’t taste like it.
This dish is also a great opportunity to use your leftovers. The basics of the dish are the riced cauliflower, chicken and egg. For the rest of the ingredients you can grab what you have in your fridge. I had 1/4 courgette left over, so that went in there. I think finely chopped carrot, green peas, and sweetcorn would work really well. For the sauce, I literally just put sweet chili sauce on top, however you can just eat it plain if you prefer, or maybe try sriracha, ketchup, chipotle sauce, or another favorite condiment of yours. The sky is the limit!
What is cauliflower rice?
Cauliflower rice is cauliflower that has been shredded or chopped into fine pieces that resembles rice. This dish does not actually contain any rice at all. You can use cauliflower rice in place of traditional rice in many cases. For this recipe you want to use fresh, raw cauliflower rice. You can either make your own by putting raw cauliflower florets in a food processor, or you can buy riced cauliflower in many grocery stores. Frozen cauliflower rice will not work very well in this recipe.
Cauliflower chicken fried rice
- 2 chicken fillets
- 1 diced red onion
- 1/4 courgette
- 300 g cauliflower rice
- 2 eggs
- salt, pepper
- 2 tsp olive oil (or cooking spray)
- Warm 1 tsp olive oil in a pan. Dice chicken in thumb sized pieces and cook for about 5 minutes until done (the meat should be white all the way through). Remove the chicken from the heat, and leave on a plate to rest.
- In the same pan, add 1 tsp olive oil and diced red onion. Cook for about 2 minutes, until the onion is looking glossy.
- Add diced courgette to the onion, and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add the cauliflower rice, and cook for another 5 minutes until the cauliflower is heated through and slightly browning.
- In the pan, spread the vegetables to the sides and form a circle. Leave a small space in the middle of the pan. Crack the eggs in the middle, one by one, and use a spatula to stir the eggs around. The eggs will start to scramble. Move your spatula in larger circles, which blends the scrambled eggs together with the vegetables. Once completely incorporated, leave to cook for about 3 minutes until eggs are cooked through.
- Add the chicken pieces and mix it all together
- Serve as is, or with sweet chili sauce, sriracha, a squeezed lemon, or the condiment of your preference.